At our Motherhouse administration offices we gather for staff prayer every other Wednesday. This week I was the one who prepared the prayer. As I prayed about it, the convergence of Good Friday and Earth Day kept emerging.
Wednesday was the first anniversary of the Gulf Oil spill. We’re witnessing dramatic weather changes – that in the past few weeks alone have given rise to the tsunami in Japan… tornados in the area of North Carolina…it goes on and on…
We’re seeing natural disasters of epic proportions – and in this convergence of Good Friday and Earth Day, we have to wonder: Is our global lifestyle in some way crucifying the world-wide Body of Christ – the Earth?
And so the whole theme of self-emptying love began to emerge. That’s what Jesus was about as he lived through these last days of his life. It’s what we’re called to in relation to one another and all creation.
And so for Good Friday, I’d like to share the prayer with you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sister,
ReplyDeleteThey prayer is not showing, can you please share the text in your blog, or if you are willing, I would send you my email and you could send it to me there. Thank you.
Dear Jennifer,
ReplyDeleteI could send the file to you directly if I had an email address. I'm not able to do the work needed to reformat it in text fashion for the blog. Even if you can't see it, I suggest downloading and saving it onto your computer. Make sure your adobe reader is up date.
Dear Sister
ReplyDeletesomebody has been interfering with your post and has put a satirical picture of the seven (and then some!) dwarves carrying the Cross.
In the "staff prayer" too, somebody has added something unChristian.
"During this season when we remember Christ’s death to new life
...
give us the will to die to indifference to your creation"
As you of course know, Christ did not die to oppose new life, nor should we pray to die in order to be indifferent to God's creation.
If I were you, I'd invest in making sure nobody can get at your website.